By Perrie Samotin, StyleCaster
Image via StyleCaster
So, you've met a cool guy who asked you out. Exciting? Definitely. A little nerve-wracking? Absolutely.
As cliche as it sounds, being yourself is probably the best way to ensure you not only have a good time on a first, but also get a second date, too. That said, there are a few dos and don'ts to keep in mind when hanging out with someone totally new- remember, it's all about making a solid first impression. Read on for 12 first date dos and don'ts that every girl should know!
Related: Solange Knowles: Her 50 Most Eye-Popping Looks
1. DO speak up. Nobody likes a pushover, so if your date tells you he's planned an evening at a sushi restaurant and you don't eat fish, or he wants to hang at a cocktail lounge but you don't drink, speak up. It'll only look strange if you tell him all that after you're already seated and waiting to order. Same goes for being decisive. If he asks what you'd like to eat, drink, or share for dessert, don't say "I don't care, what do you want?" Wishy-washy can get real old, real fast.
2. DON'T wear things that you can't walk or move in. Obviously, you want to look your best, but a first date isn't the time to take those new 5-inch stilettos out for a road test, or wear that dress that's a little too tight. Why? Because first dates are anxiety-filled enough and being uncomfortable in your clothes only makes it worse. Plus, won't it suck to not be able to walk a few blocks on a nice night because you're heels are too high? Instead, wear things you know for a fact look good on you and won't hinder you from doing anything.
3. DO be on time. Yeah, we know the whole fashionably late ideology still exists, but on a first date, you'll make a better impression if you show up on time. Would you want him to show up late? Probably not. What's that? It takes you two hours to do your hair? Sounds like you're perfectly aware of that fact, which means you'll know exactly how much time you need to prepare ahead of time, even if its five hours (hey, we don't judge.)
Related: VIDEO: See Beyoncé's Hair Get Caught in A Fan During Her Concert
4. DON'T not eat. Most guys will freely tell you that there's nothing more cliche than a girl who doesn't eat on a date. If you think it makes you look skinnier, more feminine, or more mysterious, guess what? It doesn't.
In fact, we asked a guy in our office what he thought of girls who don't eat on dates and he said: "There's nothing more refreshing than a girl who actually eats on a date. We're not saying you need to house four cheeseburgers, but we want girls to be comfortable when they're out with us, and nothing says they're uncomfortable and uptight more than not eating!" Got that, girls?
5. DON'T drink too much. There's not much to say here without sounding like a preachy parent, but keep this in mind: Having to be carried home by a guy you barely know isn't chic (nor is slurring your words, doing something you regret, or crying at the dinner table.) Sure, a cocktail or two can be fun and loosen the mood, but knowing your limits will help make a better first impression.
6. DON'T be obsessed with your appearance. Who wants to waste precious date time running to bathroom to brush your hair, reapply your lipstick, or check the mirror every five minutes? Put as much effort into your appearance as you want before you meet your date, but focus your energy on making solid conversation instead of worrying about how you look. Not to stereotype, but odds are he probably won't notice that last swipe of lip gloss you just applied, anyway.
7. DO put your phone away. This is the big one, ladies: The act of obsessively checking your phone every two minutes could be a bonafide deal breaker. There's nothing ruder than trying to have a conversation with a person who's constantly stating at their screens-wouldn't you be put off if he were paying more attention to his iPhone than to you?
Checking Instagram can wait. No, it can't? Then you're probably not ready to have a relationship with a human just yet.Similarly, do not post any status updates, tweet about your being on the date, or snap any candid pics when he's not looking.
8. DON'T mention other guys. Want to know one surefire way to not get asked out again? Mention your ex-boyfriend, your dating history, or a list of guys that desperately want to date you. If you get the urge, step up your game and act your age. Try this instead: Highlight some recent achievements that are about you. He'll be way more impressed that way.
More From StyleCaster:
Paris Hilton's Net Worth: How Rich Is She Really?
The 50 Best Beauty Blogs
Get A New Hairstyle Without Committing to A Cut
By Perrie Samotin, StyleCaster