By Charlotte Hilton Andersen, REDBOOK
Dirty Baby joined our family when my just-walking daughter pulled the doll out of a garbage can at the airport (ick) and brought it on the plane with us, at the time a fact we didn't notice because our 4-year-old had lost his shoes somewhere in the terminal and we were frantically searching for them right up until boarding. By the time we noticed Dirty Baby clutched tightly in our daughter's pudgy hands, we were in the air... and everyone knows the last thing you want to do on an airplane is make your kid cry by taking away a toy. But my daughter is not alone with her odd attachment. Many a parent has been stymied by a toddler's insistence on sleeping with a measuring cup rather than the multitude of soft, adorable and appropriate toys in his room. Read on for some of our favorites:
1. "My cousin wouldn't sleep without my aunt's silky underclothes. A slip would do, but it had to be silky undergarments. This cousin is 21 now, and we remind her of her toddler habits often!" -Krista
2. "My daughter has an obsession with toothbrushes. She loves having a toothbrush clamped in each of her chubby little fists when she sleeps." -Laura
3. "My daughter has to have my undershirt. After I've worn it. She then wears it wrapped around her neck when she goes to bed." -Sarah
4. "My sister had a very ratty tiger she found in a thrift store-stuffing coming out, fur worn off, kind of smelly-and they were inseparable for years." -Lindsey
5. "My daughter loves a large plastic dinosaur with pointy teeth and claws. No fuzzy Teddy bears for her!" -Alyssa
6. "My son used to fall asleep sucking on the long tag on the backside of his stuffed bear." -Melissa
7. "My daughter likes to sleep with her finger through a loop tag. Maybe she's already fixated on rings and jewelry?" -Robyn
8. "My son loved this grungy old pillowcase… it became so threadbare that I had to sew it onto another pillowcase!" -Allison
9. "My son loves the Happy Meal toys he receives, along with other small freebies. He puts them under his pillow while he sleeps to keep them safe!" -Amy
10. "My son Sam loved fuzzy socks… on my feet. He'd crawl across the floor chasing my feet so he could snuggle them." -Charlotte
Does your child have a strange love object?
More from REDBOOK:
Have Vacation Sex...In Your Own House
5 Flattering Jeans For Each Body Type
- 6 Shocking Reasons Why Men Stray
- 101 Date Night Ideas
- Get More on Love, Family & Fashion - Subscribe to REDBOOK & Save Up to 84%!
Permissions: Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.