- Diane Mizota, Host Of This Week In M.o.m. | Moments Of Motherhood | Tue, Jan 17, 2012 7:44 PM EST | Comments
This Week in M.O.M…Was it just me, or were the Golden Globes overflowing with moments of motherhood?
From a grinning Jodie Foster showing off her two sons,
Jodie Foster and sons
to a radiant Jessica Alba, who only delivered 4 months ago, moms were representing big time at the 2012 Golden Globes.
One highlight was Michelle Williams' touching acceptance speech for her role in My Week With Marilyn, where she said that she "considers herself a mother first, and an actor second" and thanked her daughter Matilda for sending her off to work every day with a hug and a kiss. She also shared that for weeks, she read all the princesses' voices in Matilda's bedtime stories in a Marilyn Monroe voice. Now, that's a mom who knows how to multi-task, and knows the importance of job #1. Love her!
And not to leave the dads out, Peter Dinklage's acceptance speech for his role on Game of Thrones was one that every parent could relate to. He revealed that it was he and his wife's first night away from t...Read More »
- Charlene Prince Birkeland, Senior Editor | Moments Of Motherhood | Fri, Jan 13, 2012 2:17 PM EST | CommentsNew Year's resolutions abound. Even if you don't make resolutions at the start of a new year, it's virtually impossible to not think about what you want to improve over the next 366 days. (Remember, it's a leap year!) If you're a parent, you might even be asking yourself what you'll do differently in the months ahead.
Resolve to smile more in 2012.
Do you resolve to be a better parent? I know I do. A few years ago I wrote about the "4 Ls" to being a better parent: Lighten up, Let it go, Listen, and Laugh. These tips still apply to my life as a person and a parent. But my kids are older now and as we've all grown a few years, I've learned a few more lessons along the way.
Here are five resolutions I've come up with to foster a happier family life summed up in one nice word: SMILE.
Let's break it down, shall we?
Smile. Smiles are beautiful. They feel good. And like laughter, smiles are contagious. Smiles may even make you healthier. (Watch this TED video on the Science of Smiling.) I'm not saying you should re...Read More »
- Diane Mizota, Host Of This Week In M.o.m. | Moments Of Motherhood | Fri, Jan 6, 2012 1:33 PM EST | Comments...Read More »
- Piper Weiss, Shine Staff | Parenting | Thu, Jan 5, 2012 6:13 PM EST | CommentsFor the first time in history, childless women under 30 are earning more than men in the same age bracket. At the same time, there are more twins being born in the U.S. than ever before. What do those two facts have to do with each other? Everything.
Get a load of these guys.
A new report from the Center of Disease Control and Prevention confirms that the rate of twin births has doubled in the past three decades. As of 2009, one in ever 30 births is a twin.
Increased use of fertility drugs and treatments are getting credit for the multiples movement. Another factor is that more women are waiting until they're over 30 to start a family. In 2008, 14 percent of all births in the U.S. were to women 35 and older. That number continues to rise.
Thanks to evolution's mad genius, women in their third decade are biologically more likely to knock out two kids at the same time, even without fertility treatments. In a strange way it's as if both our bodies and our collective scientific progress are making up for lost...Read More »
- Diane Mizota, Host Of This Week In M.o.m. | Moments Of Motherhood | Wed, Jan 4, 2012 4:36 PM EST | Comments...Read More »
What was the biggest mess your little ones ever left you?