Second Time Mommy"I got this" I kept saying to myself when nearing my due date with my second baby.
I already knew about all the sleep I wouldn't get, the poopy diapers I would have to battle, the loud late night crying I would have to endure and the day-to-day hardships of managing the home and taking care of a newborn. Except this time, there was a 4-year-old added to the mix - and THAT scared me. How would I manage it all?
Naturally it was tough in the beginning and I'm still finding my way, but what surprised me most of all is that despite knowing what was coming, I had actually forgotten what being a mommy of a newborn was really like. Oh my my - what a shock to the system!
Related: 9 moments that made me fall in love with my baby
Here are few things that had slipped my mind:
- Babies are small - very small.
- Babies have a kung fu grip - hair must be pulled back and forget wearing any jewelry.
- You and the baby smell musty and milky - all of the time.
- They cry. Loudly.
- They want milk. Lots and lots of milk!
- Short fingernails are essential - poo and cream get under them and easily scratch baby.
- Baby's fingernails must be kept short - those tiny nails are like mini razor blades on your skin!
- Packing the diaper bag is as much work as packing to go away for a weekend.
- Newborn laundry is never ending.
- Newborn smell is absolutely heavenly.
- They are mesmerizing - you could easily spend hours staring at them.
- Babies are amazingly cuddly and warm!
- Babies love you unconditionally.
- You can't stop kissing them!
- Without a doubt, being a mommy is the toughest yet the most amazing job in the world. End of.
- By Maria José Ovalle
Follow Maria on Disney Baby
For the 10 best things about being a mom, visit Disney Baby!
MORE ON DISNEY BABY
5 ways to calm a baby (and yourself!)
20 first-year milestones you should look out for
It happen to everyone: 8 mistakes all new parents make
9 ways for dad to bond with baby
Disney Baby | DisneyBaby.com
Stay connected. Follow Disney Baby on Facebook and Twitter.