Yesterday, I was sent a group email asking me to name one thing I'm thankful for that isn't cliche or traditional like: "my family," "food on the table," etc. Other moms on the email tree were coming back with beautiful sentiments about new friendships, the help of strangers, and averting disasters.
I didn't respond because everything I thought of seemed trite, superficial, and a tad less profound. However, I did write a list, and frankly, I'll share it with you because these things totally deserve thanks in my book -- just refrain from saying them around the dinner table.
1. I am thankful that I keep a pair of tweezers in my car.
2. I am thankful my daughter has not lost faith in the tooth fairy, and my son goes along with it.
3. I am thankful for the dimmer switch in my bedroom.
4. I am thankful sweetner packets can be used as makeshift floss - in a pinch.
5. I am thankful I didn't start a Meth Lab after binge watching Breaking Bad (it was tempting).
6. I am thankful that when I don't remember someone's name, which for me is often, they usually let me get away with "hey hon."
7. I am thankful for those awesome skinny hangers that make my closet seem bigger.
8. I am thankful my kids are finally at an age where they'll watch my shows with me, instead of making me watch their shows with them, I'm pretty sure Disney XD was causing my brain to atrophy.
9. I am thankful that my son still waves goodbye to me when a bunch of his friends are huddled together at the bus stop.
10. I am thankful for stars like Courteney Cox, Jennifer Aniston, Heidi Klum, and J.Lo., who make 40 seem not so old.
11. I'm thankful for Jon Hamm and his massive package that some days makes me want to convert - as Hamm is not kosher.
HAMM HUMOR BY JENNY FROM THE BLOG: CAN JON HAMM'S PACKAGE SAVE THE WORLD?
12. I am thankful for The Voice, but mostly Adam Levine because he's not only the sexiest man alive, but also the Jewish mom's Jon Hamm.
13. I am thankful my kids have figured out how to buckle seat belts, wipe themselves, and use step stools to reach things.
14. I am thankful they still ask me to lie with them at bedtime.
15. I am thankful for Netflix allows me to watch 500 hours in episodes to catch up on shows that started 6 seasons ago and end in a month. I will be more thankful when there is a Netflix Annonomous.
16. I am thankful Deep Lichen Green is the new Black -- it's really the unsung hero of slimming colors that one can barely pronounce.
17. I am thankful for Lycra
18. I am thankful that no one judges me when I'm at carpool, or Starbucks, or the grocery store - braless, wearing Uggs and pajama pants - because suburban moms forgive each other those indescretions and urban moms think I blend in with the homeless. PS - I made 84¢ the last time I was in NYC.
19. I am thankful for almost anything that starts with a lowercase i.
20. I am thankful for the $20 bill I found in my jeans yesterday -- that's always exciting.
I'm thankful for traditional stuff too, but it's super cathartic to mention the stuff that might get you kicked out of Thanksgiving dinner.
Try it, I promise not to judge. What is the most nontraditional/superficial thing you're thankful for?
Other Fun Lists:
Jenny Isenman AKA Jenny From the Blog is the humorist behind the award winning site, The Suburban Jungle. A caffeine addicted card carrying Gen Xer, on air lifestyle expert for NBC, and columnist at Huff Po and The Stir, her goal is to you keep herself sane. Oh, and to teach dolphins to read. She is failing at both. Join the insanity on Facebook and Twitter, and Pinterest.