A bright idea for Valentine's Day.Here's a clever craft with heart! I came across these hollow papier mâché hearts (you can find them with an online search) and thought they would work great as small lanterns. Pick up a pack of battery-operated tea lights at the dollar store, print out some pictures of your little ones and get ready to have a craft-athon! These hearts are wonderful to give to grandmas, aunts, and friends too!
What You'll Need
Hollow papier mâché ornaments, 5.5"
Picture, printed on copy paper
Craft paint, brushes
Glue, glitter, embellishments
Battery-operated tea lights
1. Draw a circle on the surface of the ornament, this is where you will cut with the craft knife.
2. Choose a photo, then draw or cut a circle shape a little bit larger than the one you drew on the ornament.
3. Use the craft knife to cut the circle from the ornament. On the back of the ornament, cut another circle, but leave a bit of it connected to make a flap, or a little door. Be careful when using the craft knife!
4. Paint the inside and the outside of all the ornaments. Let dry so the paint won't get on your beautiful picture!
5. Add the glue stick to the rim of the ornament. If you use copy paper, I found it is easier to place outside the cut. If you are using gift tissue paper, you can affix it from the inside with minimal wrinkles.
6. Now that your pictures are glued and dried, it's time to add the decorations! Add painted accents, coat with glue and glitter, add trim, whatever you want. This would be a great time to have the kids help you!
7. Insert the battery-operated tea light in the back of the ornament. Close the little flap. Do not use a real candle, ONLY use a battery-operated light. And there you go!
-By Kathy Cano-Murillo
MORE ON SPOONFUL
15 Valentine's Day games and activities perfect for classroom parties
Celebrate the Chinese New Year with colorful crafts & delicious recipes
20 creative projects (shoe-box dinosaur feet!) that start with cardboard