- 19 hours ago | CommentsBy Kathleen Hou, The Cut
There are certain lipstick shades known by sight or name or number alone. 999. Schiap. 400. A very, very matte blue-based red that shows up out on the town more often than Hannah Bronfman. Although hundreds of lip shades cross our desk every day, when pressed for time, the Cut is often drawn towards the cult and classic. To compile this list, the Cut spoke to celebrity makeup artists like Beau Nelson and Lupita Nyong'o's makeup artist Nick Barose, reviewed MakeupAlley message boards to find the best-reviewed lip shades by consumers, and spoke to brand representatives to learn about their best sellers. Here are 20 of the Cut's list of the top 50 cult lip shades of all time, including colors like the first red ever worn at a Christian Dior fashion show. And if you have a Kanye-at-the-MTV-Awards-like suggestion for a shade we left off the list, leave it in the comments below. See all 50 lipstick shades here.
More from The Cut:
- 19 hours ago | CommentsEdward Barsamian
It's hard to write about the women you love, but today, the 40th birthday of noted designer and former pop star and music sensation Victoria Beckham, is certainly an occasion worth noting. As she prepares to celebrate in low-key fashion with friends and family tonight in Los Angeles, we look back at Mrs. Beckham's poshest wardrobe picks over the years, tracing her evolution from slinky and sexy dresses to the subdued sheaths that have become a chic signature for her eponymous line. Her crowning moment came at her wedding to soccer star David Beckham in a custom Vera Wang replete with tiara. But the singer toned things down in favor of au courant ensembles including a bi-color slip dress at the VH1/Vogue Fashion Awards, while at the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute's gala for "Goddess," she donned a neo-Grecian frock from Dolce & Gabbana with free-flowing hair. Playing with hair color, Beckham went bold and blonde at the civil partnership ceremony for friends Sir Elton John and David Furnish, and accented her fur coat with an dazzling display of diamonds. Shortly thereafter, she debuted a new shorter cut at the wedding of Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise, showing off her physique in a strapless Giambattista Valli dress and Philip Treacy hat. And in 2006 Beckham captivated the red carpet at the Met Gala in a strapless Roland Mouret dress that complemented her ruby and diamond necklace. At the Met Gala in 2008-the same year she showed her first Victoria Beckham collection-the designer and husband David were the golden couple in custom ensembles from Giorgio Armani. Though perhaps it was at 2009's "The Model as Muse" Met Gala when Beckham, balanced whimsy and elegance in Marc Jacobs, fully solidifying her standing a fashion force to be reckoned with. While recent years have seen Victoria Beckham opt for tame tones, we love how she makes something as simple as a navy dress seem sensual yet appropriate. In heels, of course.
- Wed, Apr 16, 2014 11:02 AM EDT | Comments
- 20 hours ago | CommentsHow do you keep a garbage disposal clean and smelling fresh?
Garbage disposals do a great job of grinding and spiriting away food particles, but that cavernous hole in the sink does not lend itself well to cleaning. As residue builds within, the cleanest of kitchens may still have one wrinkling their nose at a whiff of the foul stench emitted from the sink. As the coupons I received with my new disposal will attest, there are commercial products available for deodorizing, but I'm not too keen on the excessive use of chemicals. Fortunately, there is a DIY solution for keeping the disposal clean and smelling fresh with almost no effort.
A simple blend of baking soda, salt, dish detergent and citrus is perfect for cleaning the hard-to-reach depths of any garbage disposal and leaving behind a fresh clean scent. Salt acts as an abrasive to remove residue in the disposal, baking soda cleans surfaces and neutralizes odor, dish detergent is a degreaser and the power of citrus helps keep the disposal clean and smelling great.
Pour a quarter cup of this grime buster down the sink once a week to keep your disposal fresh and clean and if things get out of hand, try adding a quarter cup of vinegar and a handful of ice to the mix for an extra burst of cleaning power.
Does your garbage disposal need a breath freshener? Follow these steps to make your own natural disposal freshener using common household items.
-by Mick Telkamp for DIYNetwork.com
MORE FROM HGTV FAMILY OF SITES
8 Cheap and Easy Hacks to Improve Your Bathroom
Pinterest Bait: HGTV FrontDoor's 50 Most Pinned Photos
46 Creative Ways to Store ALL Your Shoes
Outdoor Weddings: 13 Amazing Ideas From Real Celebrations
- Wed, Apr 16, 2014 6:46 PM EDT | Commentsby Sarah Ferguson
While we're not averse to shelling out upwards of $30 for an amazing lipstick, many of our standby lip colors cost a whole lot less than that. The drugstore is full of high-quality, long-lasting lipsticks in gorgeous shades that-wait for it!-ring in under $10. Click through above to shop our favorites!
- Wed, Apr 16, 2014 6:04 PM EDT | CommentsBy Arielle Cabreja, The Cut
Forget the over-ruffled, taffeta bridesmaid dresses of your nightmares.
There are plenty of 'maid-friendly styles out there from major designers that are sleek, colorful, and versatile enough to have a life way beyond the wedding. Click through for 10 of The Cut's 35 picks, a kaleidoscope of options from Zac Posen, Tibi, Jenny Yoo, and many more. See all 35 of the best bridesmaid dresses here.
More from The Cut:The 50 Best Cult and Classic Lip Shades of All Time
- Wed, Apr 16, 2014 4:55 PM EDT | Commentsby Madeline Alford
Summer is the official season of big-screen blockbusters, with superheroes being Hollywood's favorite action stars. Spiderman, Batman and Captain America have all had their box office heyday, but the real superhero to acknowledge next month is-you guessed it-your mom. (Awwww.) Apologies for being cheesy, but come on, you know your mom is truly a superhero. Not only does she probably cook and clean for you, but your mom is more than that. She's a mentor, a therapist and the person who puts up with your irrational rants (Or is that just my mom? Hi Mom!).
Mother's Day is coming up, so why not celebrate yours with a gift to show her she's really something special? Click through the slideshow above to see gift ideas fit for a superhero-all for under $50!
- Wed, Apr 16, 2014 4:39 PM EDT | CommentsBy now, most people have heard about Clarisonic cleansing brushes. While they still seem to be the dominating the market and the company claims they are superior due to high oscillation speeds, they are pretty pricey. However, there are a lot of great quality, well-reviewed options that are a bit more affordable. All skin cleansing brushes boast the same claims. Regular use improves tone, texture, elasticity, and firmness. They work by gently exfoliating as you cleanse, allowing for a deeper clean, are more efficient makeup removal, and improve blood flow to the skin. Because skin is cleaner, medications and products you apply after their use are more effective due to the fact that they are able to penetrate more deeply. Look for a skin cleansing brush with soft bristles to gently remove impurities and stick to using it no more than once a day. I've included both electric and manual skin cleansing brushes in this product roundup. Visit the roundup below for 8 skin cleansing brushes for more radiant skin. -By Sonya Lee Benham
MORE ON BABBLE
6 essential steps to a healthy complexion
10 beauty secrets every woman should know
7 superfoods you need to eat for healthy, glowing skin
- Wed, Apr 16, 2014 4:33 PM EDT | CommentsBy: Ivy Jacobson for TheNest.com Kate Middleton's immaculate outfits have been the highlight of her New Zealand tour with Prince William - but the real question is, where have they been hanging? The royal family's first stop when they flew to the island country was the Wharekauhau Lodge, an Edwardian-style manor house near Wellington, E! reported.
However, as you might have guessed, it's not your typical home away from home, since the 15-cottage lodge offers a day spa, a farm, a croquet lawn and these other amenities:
More from The Nest:
11 living room looks we'd love to steal
Create a bedroom you'll both love
How to display your wedding photos
8 biggest relationship myths
Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com/thenest
Follow us on Twitter: Twitter.com/thenest
© 2013 The Nest. All rights reserved.
- Wed, Apr 16, 2014 2:22 PM EDT | CommentsBy: Ivy Jacobson for TheKnot.com
After many months of speculation about exactly where Kim Kardashian and Kanye West will get married in France on May 24, we think this is the place…err, chateau! During a recent trip to Paris (a little last-minute wedding planning, we're guessing) Kim was photographed at the Chateau Louis XIV, located in Louveciennes, about 20 minutes from Paris.
More from The Knot:
A Romantic Modern Wedding In Grove City, OH
A Biltmore Estate Wedding In Asheville, NC
An Outdoor Ranch Wedding In Tucson, AZ
A Villa At Sunstone Vineyards Wedding In Santa Ynez, CA
Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com/theknot
Follow us on Twitter: Twitter.com/theknot
© 2013 The Knot. All rights reserved.