- Wed, Mar 12, 2014 1:36 PM EDT | CommentsFringe brings two ideas to mind: the divine decadence of '20s-era flappers and the rough-and-tumble style of rodeo cowgirls à la Annie Get Your Gun. Though these worlds are radically different and have no business mingling, fashion designers are always up for a challenge.
This spring 2014 season saw a bevy of fringed pieces, which were worlds away from anything Woody from Toy Story would wear. Rather, designers like Francisco Costa at Calvin Klein and Joseph Altuzarra offered a modern take on the style, with flirty-fringed dresses that exude equal amounts of power and sex appeal. Fringe is about motion and drawing the eye with every flounce or shimmy. Alas, it is also not the most flattering fabrication. It takes someone with a petite figure to really pull it off, as the layers can add unnecessary volume.
The solution? Opt for fringed accessories instead. Brands like Michael Kors, Valentino and Stella McCartney have combined the best qualities of Annie Oakley's and Zelda Fitzgerald's sartorial sense into some of the chicest bags for spring. Their designs are glamorous as they are durable and edgy, making them the perfect pieces of arm candy for sun-filled days.
By Barry Samaha
- Wed, Mar 12, 2014 2:01 PM EDT | Comments2013 was a banner year for Olivia Wilde. She got engaged to Saturday Night Live star Jason Sudeikis as well as appearing in the Academy Award-nominated film Her (where she received some of her best reviews to date). Now, a year later and with a baby on the way (her first child is due in May), Wilde has never looked more radiant.
Her maternity style has been astounding to say the least. As an attendee at most of the award show galas this year, her ensembles outshined the nominees, all of whom had bigger star power and didn't have to worry about a growing belly. Whether it was her sparkling green Gucci dress at the Golden Globes or her cool, casual look on the streets, Wilde has been the epitome of elegance.
Click through the slideshow to check out some of her best pregnancy looks.
By Barry Samaha
- Thu, Mar 13, 2014 12:42 PM EDT | CommentsWith help from designers Suzanne and Lauren McGrath, Style Me Pretty founder Abby Larson overcame an addiction to neutrals-and created a chic, cozy home in the process.
MORE FROM DOMINO.COMThis Week's #dominodeal: Keith Kreeger Collection
- Mon, Mar 3, 2014 12:39 PM EST | Comments"There's no 'he said, she said,'" declares interior designer and architect-in-training Jennifer Vaughn about her relationship with fiancé Derrick Miller. "There's only 'we said.'" It's a good thing, because their apartment's small size (just over 500 square feet) and their shoestring budget to fix it up posed enough challenges. Both inherent classicists in their respective design sensibilities, the couple made the close quarters-a living area and nook of a kitchen topped by a miniscule sleeping loft-feel quite grand.
MORE FROM DOMINO.COM
- Wed, Mar 12, 2014 6:09 PM EDT | Commentsby Alison Syrett Cleary
Huzzah! After what felt like the longest, coldest, snowiest winter in all of world history-no, but seriously-it's finally time for a spring break vacation! To help you prepare for this much needed getaway, I've put together the ultimate dozen-piece packing guide for most any locale that's a not an 85-degree beach (because all you really need for that is a really great bikini and coverup) or blizzard-ridden Scandinavia (although why would you go there after the season we just had?!). Even when you factor in toiletries and pjs, everything should fit in a standard-size carryon, so no bummers like lost luggage or excess baggage will ruin your trip.
Then, once you arrive at your destination of choice (where are you going? Las Vegas? London? Paris? Oh, I hope it's Paris!), just consult the 12 perfect outfits I've pre-styled for you in the slideshow above before getting dressed. Ranging from hotel restaurant-polished to comfortable enough for a day of museum hopping, my picks include an option for whatever you've got planned, and any spontaneous, unplanned Passport to Paris-style motorbike rides with cute boys (as you might guess, I'm still stuck on the idea that you're going to Paris). Click through to make your vacation planning process a little easier.
- Wed, Mar 12, 2014 2:24 PM EDT | CommentsFinding a dress for a spring wedding can leave you scratching your head, as there are a few requisites that one should follow when it comes to such momentous occasions. First off, unless specified, white is not an option. This color is solely for the bride-after all, it is her day, not yours. That said, wearing something opulent and eye-catching should be left to an event where you are the center of attention; leave the flash and the micro-minis at home. Now where does this leave you, you ask?
Elegance is key in this scenario, so terms like sleek and demure should be the priority. Anything with loud prints or an intricate silhouette may not be appropriate, especially if the wedding is at a church or synagogue. A hemline that reaches slightly above the knee is playing it safe. But you also don't want to look like the mother of the bride, so make a statement with a striking color. Bold hues, on lace or silk crepe, will have you looking chic without taking the spotline away from the bride. Need more help? Look to Michelle Obama's classic wardrobe for inspiration.
Click through the slideshow above to check out what to wear to a spring wedding.
By Barry Samaha
- Wed, Mar 12, 2014 1:44 PM EDT | Commentsby Sarah Ferguson
The coolest beauty trends from Spring 2014 Fashion Week-like graphic eye makeup and wet hair-are also the most difficult to pull off in real life. But while some of these bold looks are purely intended for show, others can be translated for the everyday with just a few tweaks. Above, celebrity hairstylist George Papanikolas and makeup artist Romy Soleimani tell us how.
- Thu, Mar 13, 2014 9:41 AM EDT | CommentsHow long has your look been your look? If it's more than, say, a year, we've got just the right tweak for you. Check out these celebs and change things up! By Kayleigh Donahue Hodes, REDBOOK.
- Wed, Mar 12, 2014 6:13 PM EDT | CommentsBy: Ivy Jacobson for TheNest.com
If you need a fresh book club pick, dive into one of these five new reads all released this month, spanning Hollywood legends, crazy travel excursions and a very real seventy-foot swimming pool in New York City.
Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com/thenest
Follow us on Twitter: Twitter.com/thenest
© 2013 The Nest. All rights reserved.
- Wed, Mar 12, 2014 5:16 PM EDT | CommentsBy: Ivy Jacobson for TheKnot.com
We all love when March rolls around, because it's not just springtime - it's Girl Scout Cookie time too! After enjoying box after box (after box) of the addictive treats, we can't help but feel like the cookie we love the most says a lot about our wedding style. Scroll down to see what our "Girl Scout Cookie generator" says about your ceremony and reception - and if you have a soft spot for all of the cookies, take some sweet inspiration from each one!
More from The Knot:
The Guide to Offbeat Wedding Cakes
8 Ways to Pull Off a Classic Wedding
Modern Wedding Color Palettes We Love
8 Ways to Pull Off a Rustic Wedding
Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com/theknot
Follow us on Twitter: Twitter.com/theknot
© 2013 The Knot. All rights reserved.
- Pets - 47 minutes ago
- Healthy Living - 2 hours 45 minutes ago
- Healthy Living - 2 hours 55 minutes ago
- Fashion - 3 hours ago
- Parenting - 3 hours ago