by Petra Guglielmetti
Mark LeibowitzI recently shared what I think are the five most underrated beauty habits--and once the post went up, you ladies had a lot of thoughts to add. We've had so much fun reading your comments, and here I've rounded up 10 more of the most underrated beauty habits, according to you, our readers.
1. Applying plain-old coconut oil as body lotion. (I've long suggested this to you ladies!) "I use coconut oil in the shower after the water is off. Apply generously all over and then just pat dry. You can reapply to very dry areas and even put socks on after applying to heels and feet. I keep it by the shower and use it to shave my legs as well." --abqkid28 [Note: Just be very careful, coconut oil makes your shower super slippery!]
2. Exfoliating regularly and thoroughly. "Exfoliating is key, otherwise you are putting creams and lotion on dead skin and it cant do its job." --StefiNY
3. Exfoliating your lips too. "When I wash my face, I use an extra-gentle exfoliating Buf-Puf sponge and exfoliate my lips with it at the same time." [OMG, I haven't used a Buf-Puf since junior high! Must get one ASAP!] "The last thing I do when I brush my teeth is run my toothbrush over my lips a few times gently to exfoliate." --manda09
4. Using humble, cheapie petroleum jelly. "I always put Vaseline on my lips before going to bed, and they are always full and moisturized in the morning!" --huttonl
See more: 10 Wardrobe Essentials Every Woman Should Own
5. Braiding your hair before bed for easy waves. "I part my hair, then braid four sections: 1. the top/crown, 2. left side, 3. right side, 4. back. The braids aren't so tight that they kill any potential volume. I anchor all four braids to the top of my head using a small clip or bobby pins so there are no kinks. --BunnyBread Click here and scroll down in the comments for LOTS more detailed pre-bed braiding tips from readers!
6. Keeping your feet to the grindstone. "You have to pumice your feet like daily in the summer. Sandals and crusty feet are never cute. Also, pumice stones are like $1." --mamacheeks
7. Fighting frizz with an old tee. "Drying your hair with a T-shirt versus a towel helps lessen frizz and define curls." --fancyj
8. Indulging in lavender-laced beauty sleep. "Bath & Body Works has a great-smelling lavender vanilla aromatherapy lotion called Sleep. It's probably all in my head, but I swear whenever I use it, I fall asleep faster!" --tadajewsk
9. Practically swimming in body lotion daily. "I didn't discover this until I went to school with white people, because it's assumed this is daily routine in the black community and every black girl in my elementary school carried travel bottles in her bag: applying lotion every day! Every. Single. DAY. From head to toe, right after my shower. I never understood why lotion can go for $15, $20, $50 a JAR until I realized that not everybody goes through a 21oz. bottle of it every month." --daydream11
10. Chilling the heck out. "I think taking 20 minutes for yourself each day is the most underrated one. I have to make myself do this and when I skip it I eat more and feel not so focused. I'm trying to fit it in, but with a new puppy and a job with longer hours, it's so tough! The best is taking that 20 minutes with my awesome new Frends headphones! Bliss!" --cmm
Next, how 'bout we talk OVERrated beauty habits? (Dutifully getting tri-monthly hair trims? Using base coat before nail polish?) Tell me below for a future post!
More from Glamour:
53 Swimsuits that Make You Look 10 Pounds Thinner
35 Truths About Marriage--From a Guy's Point of View
10 Hot Date-Night Outfits (According to Guys)
25 Celebrity Hairstyles That Will Make You Want Bangs
by Petra Guglielmetti