While Jennifer Lawrence has been very successful in her other film roles (our December cover girl was nominated for her first Best Actress Oscar with 2010′s Winter's Bone and won the award for 2012's Silver Linings Playbook), it's hard to imagine, say, Emma Roberts, Hailee Steinfeld, or Saoirse Ronan as HG's heroine-though all were up for the part. After taking a closer look, the casting director really couldn't have chosen a better actress to play Katniss: Lawrence shares more qualities with the fictional character than you might realize. To wit:
1. They're both unintentional hairstyle setters. When it comes their hair, both women have inspired countless others to try a new look. Consider Katniss's braid, the popularity of which is even referenced in the second film,Catching Fire, when President Snow's granddaughter points out to him how all the girls in the Capitol are wearing their hair in braids now. In real life, Lawrence's recent pixie shocked fans, but at the same time ignited a cutting craze. And just like Katniss, Lawrence shrugged off the hullabaloo. "I just cut it off," she said recently. "Not a very exciting story."
2. They're both loved by the entire country. Without even meaning to, Katniss gets an entire country to follow her rebellious lead. Likewise, Lawrence seemingly has the entire world at her feet right now. Seriously-the girl can do no wrong. Did you hear her talk about her recent tummy troubles with David Letterman? People are even fawning overthat.
3. They're both courageous. If you know even an inkling about the Hunger Games trilogy, Katniss's bravery needs no explanation. But as proof of Lawrence's courageousness, look no further than her recovery after falling up the stepsto accept her Oscar. Most of us would have died of embarrassment, but Lawrence made a joke at her own expense, and then moved on, resulting in the ultimate you-go-girl moment, and the nation falling in love with her even more. (See reason No. 2 Lawrence is like Katniss.)
• See Katniss-Inspired Arrow Jewelry
• Hunger Games Looks You Can Wear in Real Life
• See Where the HG Stars Got Their Start
• Read Extras From Our December Interview with Jennifer Lawrence
• This is Why JLaw and Katniss are Practically The Same Person