Photo: Marko Metzinger/Studio DBy Val Malone
I'm always happy when I see a question with the words skincare and tight budget, because it's easy to put together a simple, effective, and inexpensive routine. Here, according to Arielle Kauvar, MD, clinical professor of dermatology at New York University School of Medicine, is what you need:
RELATED: 3 Fresh Ways to Wear Yellow This Spring
1. A gentle cleanser for morning and night. Skip any that contain treatment ingredients--they only get washed off.
2. A serum or lotion with an antioxidant (like vitamin C, E, polyphenols, or CoffeeBerry), to be applied after morning cleansing.
RELATED: 6 Must-Try Spring Trends
3. A moisturizer with sunscreen to be applied after the antioxidant.
4. An exfoliating scrub or a microdermabrasion-type brush (to be used with cleanser) to smooth the skin once or twice a week (or less frequently if your skin is sensitive).
RELATED: 9 Beauty Treats Under a Buck
5. A moisturizer and/or retinoid treatment product for bedtime.
Keep in mind: All the products Kauvar suggests can be bought for a reasonable price at the drugstore.
RELATED: The Lazy Woman's Guide to Fabulous Hair
More from Oprah.com:
• Delicious brunch recipes you can make the night before
• The 5 essential handbags every woman should own
• Slim down by standing still
• 11 ways to experience more joy at work
• Subscribe to O, The Oprah Magazine and save up to 78%
Like O, The Oprah Magazine on Facebook