By Food & Wine
Vinegar-Braised Chicken with Leeks and PeasThis outstanding chicken dish by Grace Parisi, F&W's Senior Recipe Developer, is easy enough for a simple weeknight dinner and elegant enough for a dinner party.
Vinegar-Braised Chicken with Leeks and Peas
8 whole chicken legs
Freshly ground pepper
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 large leeks, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
One 10-ounce package frozen baby peas, thawed
2 tablespoons chopped tarragon
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1/2 cup crème fraîche
1. Preheat the oven to 425° and position a rack in the upper third. Turn the chicken legs skin side down on a work surface and cut halfway through the joint. Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper.
2. In each of 2 large nonstick skillets, heat half of the butter and oil. Add the chicken, skin side up, and cook over high heat until browned, 5 minutes. Turn and cook the chicken for 1 minute. Pile all of the chicken into one skillet.
3. In the other skillet, cook the leeks over high heat until just beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the broth and vinegar and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the mixture into a medium roasting pan.
4. Set the chicken on the leeks, skin side up; roast for about 25 minutes, until it is cooked through. Turn on the broiler and broil for about 2 minutes, until the skin is golden and crisp. Transfer the chicken to a platter.
5. Place the roasting pan over a burner and boil over high heat until the liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add the peas, herbs and crème fraîche and simmer until the sauce is hot and slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve.
More from Food & Wine:
More Fast Chicken Recipes
Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.
Roast Chicken Recipes
F&W Staff Favorite Grilled Chicken Recipes
Fast Weekday Meals
Delicious 30-Minute Meals
By Food & Wine