These fudgy rich brownies are delicious at room temperature, refrigerated, or even frozen -- our favorite way! You can make and ice the brownies up to two weeks in advance, and keep them frozen.
Yields: 64 brownies
Total Time: 55 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Oven Temp: 350
- 1 cup(s) (2 sticks) margarine or butter
- 4 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
- 4 (1-ounce) squares semisweet chocolate
- 2 1/4 cup(s) sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup(s) pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 5 tablespoon(s) margarine or butter
- 1/3 cup(s) packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoon(s) bourbon, or, in place of bourbon, substitute 1 tablespoon vanilla extract and 2 tablespoons water, per recipe
- 2 cup(s) confectioners' sugar
1. Make the Brownies: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 13- by 9-inch metal baking pan with foil; grease foil.
2. In heavy 3-quart saucepan over low heat, melt margarine or butter and chocolates, stirring frequently. Remove saucepan from heat. With wire whisk, beat in sugar, then eggs, until well blended. Stir in vanilla, salt, then flour just until blended. Spread batter evenly in pan.
3. Bake 35 minutes (toothpick inserted in brownies will not come out clean). Cool brownies in pan on wire rack. If not using brownies within 1 day, cover cooled brownies with foil and refrigerate or freeze for longer storage.
4. Prepare Praline Topping: In 2-quart saucepan over medium-low heat, heat margarine or butter and brown sugar, until mixture melts and bubbles, about 5 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat. With wire whisk, beat in bourbon (or substitute), then confectioners' sugar, until mixture is smooth.
5. With metal spatula, spread topping over room-temperature brownies; sprinkle with pecans. Cut brownies lengthwise into 8 strips, then cut each strip crosswise into 8 pieces.
More from Good Housekeeping: