By Rachel Wilkerson, Lover.ly
We love the idea of serving a signature cocktail at your wedding. Not only is it a great option for a couple on a budget, but it adds major personality to your wedding. More and more couples are going this route; here's everything you need to know to create your signature wedding cocktail.
Photo by: Adam Barnes on Heart Love Weddings via Lover.ly
1. Don't debate over the perfect couples' cocktail -- just choose two! Unless you and your beloved have the exact same taste in drinks, why not each choose one that represents you? A sign with details of each drink will makes picking a side all the more fun.
Photo by: Magnolia Pair on Southern Weddings via Lover.ly
2. Start with your favorite flavors. Whether it's gin or tequila, many people have a signature drink long before their wedding. Find a new recipe that uses it (or think back to the best cocktail you ever had that featured it!) and go from there.
Photo by: Magnolia Pair on Snippet and Ink via Lover.ly
3. Get inspiration from your venue and theme. If you're having a Southern wedding, look for recipes that include local foods or flavors. Going with a vintage wedding? Check out cookbooks from the time period to see what your counterparts were sipping back then.
Photo by: A Bryan Photo on Snippet and Ink via Lover.ly
4. Incorporate your colors when possible. By the time cocktail hour hits, your guests will already be smitten with your wedding's overall vibe, so choosing a cocktail that fits in with the color scheme is a nice touch.
Photo by: Beaux Arts Photographie on Snippet and Ink via Lover.ly
5. Make it seasonal. Choose one cocktail that seems perfect for the season, whether it's a spiced apple cider for a fall wedding or a refreshing rum drink for a summer beach wedding.
Photo by: Tracie Howe Photography on Wedding Chicks via Lover.ly
6. Serve up drinks in great glassware. From mason jars to beakers to mini milk bottles topped off with pretty paper straws, the right glassware can make an otherwise-ordinary cocktail seem specially-designed for your wedding.
Did you choose a signature cocktail for your wedding? Let us know what it was in the comments below!
More from Lover.ly:
Let guests know what's for dinner with one of these gorgeous menus
Our favorite mini-foods to serve at your wedding
Treat your guests with an amazing dessert bar