Going gluten-free but still craving the delicious taste of homemade banana bread? This recipe was inspired by one from musingsofahousewife.com. For best results, use a light-colored pan. Or, turn your dark pan into a shiny one by wrapping the outside of it with heavy-duty aluminum foil.
Related: Guilt-Free Breakfast Recipes
Gluten-Free Banana Bread
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups mashed, very ripe bananas (about 4)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 11/2 cups brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Pour 1 cup boiling water over dates in a small bowl. Let stand 10 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
2. Lightly beat eggs with a whisk in a large bowl. Whisk in bananas and next 3 ingredients until blended.
3. Stir together brown rice flour and next 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Gently stir flour mixture into egg mixture, stirring just until blended. Gently stir in melted butter, walnuts, and dates. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 9- × 5-inch loaf pan.
4. Bake at 350° for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan to wire rack, and cool completely (about 1 hour).
Brown rice flour and sorghum flour (in the organic section of supermarkets) make a bread so tender, you won't believe it's Gluten-Free!
For more great breakfast recipes, head to SouthernLiving.com.