Inspired by this country's diverse culinary traditions, these classic Thanksgiving meals by Gourmet represent regions from New England to the West Coast, the North to the Deep South.
Giving Thanks, Georgia-Style
These Southern favorites--including hearty root vegetables, sour cream apple pie, and turkey stuffed with oysters and bacon--will wow guests on either side of the Mason-Dixon Line. --Photo by Romulo Yanes
- Carrot Soup with Toasted Almonds
- Roast Turkey with Herbed Oyster Stuffing and Giblet Gravy
- Potato, Chestnut, and Celery Root Puree
- Diced Carrots and Turnips
- Lemon Rosemary Green Beans
- Jellied Apple Cranberry Sauce
- Sweet-Potato Pie with Gingersnap Pecan Crust
- Sour Cream Apple Pie
Flavors of the American Heartland
Gathering together, we celebrate soul-satisfying flavors liberally spiced with culinary notes from the region's northern European immigrants.
- Roasted Chestnuts
- Bourbon Chicken Liver Pate
- Roast Turkey with Cider Sage Gravy
- Wild Rice, Apple, and Dried-Cranberry Stuffing
- Jellied Cranberry Sauce
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Maple Hickory Nuts
- Creamed Pearl Onions
- Potato Parsnip Puree
- Brandied Sour Cherry and Pear Tartlets
- Pumpkin Ginger Rice Pudding
A Shaker Feast
The Shakers' commitment to excellence in all things was evident even in the kitchen, where basic foods were made delicious by careful cooking and the addition of herbs and spices. The time-honored recipes that follow have been adapted from Shaker cookery books, which emphasize regional ingredients--fresh vegetables, fruit, and maple syrup--and simple sauces and techniques.
- Creamed Oysters on Toasted Corn Bread
- Herbed Buttered Parsnips
- Earthy Mashed Potatoes
- Maple Squash Puree
- The Simplest Roast Turkey
- Cranberry Raisin Tart
- Ohio Shaker Lemon Pie
We're offering an alternative for those who want to venture off the beaten path: turkey cooked on the grill accented by clean flavors. --Photo by Romulo Yanes
- Grilled Turkey with Cranberry Gravy
- Three-Onion Stuffing
- Whipped Chipotle Sweet Potatoes
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Date, Goat Cheese, and Mesclun Salad
- Green Beans with Red Onion and Mustard Seed Vinaigrette
- Pumpkin Flan
Holiday in Connecticut
Classic fall flavors like apple and maple evoke the quaint New England countryside.
- Butternut Squash Soup with Chestnuts
- Roast Turkey with Corn Bread and Kale Stuffing and Paprika Pan Gravy
- Sherried Sweet Potatoes and Apples
- Mashed Potatoes
- Brussels Sprouts with Shallots and Wild Mushrooms
- Cranberry Sauce with Pearl Onions and Golden Raisins
- Date Pecan Pumpkin Squares
- Nutmeg Ice Cream
- Bourbon Burnt Sugar Sauce
More from Gourmet:
Get a Jump on Thanksgiving
Learn failsafe techniques for making turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, and pie crust with our Thanksgiving primers.
12 Thanksgiving Pies to Die For
No matter how much turkey you've eaten--these delicious options may have you going back for seconds.
Solve the Vegetarian's Dilema
Holiday vegetarian options so delicious no one at the table will miss the turkey.
- Subscribe to Gourmet Magazine - Just $1 an issue!