by Kelly Senyei
A few months ago we shared with you the Top 10 Most Frequently Misprounounced Foods, from espresso to gnocchi, bruschetta to quinoa. While pronouncing such words proved to be a challenge, it turns out the team over at GrubHub discovered that spelling such words isn't exactly an easy task either.
SEE MORE: Indulgent, Delicious Breakfasts
GrubHub, which provides a location-based takeout and delivery service for online restaurant orders, analyzed their site's search results from more than 500 U.S. cities for the month of April. The result? A list of the most frequently misspelled food words that diners typed into their search bar, plus a few fun facts about the prevalence of the misspellings. And so, without further ado, the top 10 most frequently misspelled food words, according to GrubHub:
10. Macaroni - misspelled more than 3 percent of the time
9. Barbecue - misspelled almost 3 percent of the time
8. Chipotle - misspelled almost 4 percent of the time
7. Tomato - misspelled almost 5 percent of the time
6. Reuben - misspelled more than 7 percent of the time
5. Sandwich - misspelled more than 7 percent of the time
SEE MORE: Picnic-Friendly Foods
4. Dessert - misspelled almost 10 percent of the time
3. Omelet/Omelette (French) - misspelled more than 17 percent of the time
2. Caesar - misspelled almost 40 percent of the time
1. Fettuccine - misspelled more than 70 percent of the time
I'll admit I was a bit surprised to see a few of the more common foods on the list, mainly "tomato." But I can also name countless other foods from nearly every cuisine that leave me sounding out the syllables every time I write them (I'm looking at you, "vinaigrette").