With only five ingredients, you can celebrate the flavors of Mexico at your dinner table. The salsa is even in the recipe!
• 1 (3-pound) rotisserie chicken
• 8 ounce(s) queso fresco, crumbled (about 2 cups)
• 1 2/3 cup(s) salsa verde, plus more for serving
• 4 cup(s) safflower or canola oil, for frying
• 16 (8-inch) flour tortillas
Plus: More Delicious 5-Ingredient Recipes »
1. Remove white and dark meat from chicken and shred, discarding bones and skin. In a large bowl, toss together chicken, 1 1/2 cups queso fresco, and salsa verde.
2. Fit a baking pan with a wire rack; set aside. In a large, heavy-bottomed pot fitted with a deep-fry thermometer, heat oil (about 2 inches deep) over mediumhigh heat to 325 degrees F.
3. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Place a tortilla on a clean surface and spoon about 1/2 cup chicken mixture in a line down the center. Roll tortilla up into a tight cylinder and insert a toothpick through the center to secure. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
4. Working in batches, deep-fry flautas until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes, turning halfway through. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, carefully remove from oil, tilting flautas to drain excess oil. Place on wire rack in prepared pan, remove toothpicks, and transfer to oven to keep warm. Serve hot with salsa verde and remaining queso fresco.
See more from CountryLiving.com:
Our Ultimate Guide to Kitchen Decorating »
97 Grilling Recipes for an Epic Summer Cookout »
64 Delicious Vegetarian Recipes »
25 Sensational Grilling Side Dishes »
Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.