Fabio shows you how to enhance the perfect roasted chicken, a foolproof technique that's great for any bird, anytime of the year.
- You cannot add moisture to the bird; you can only prevent the moisture that's in there from going out. To keep your chicken moist, seal in the juices with a crisp skin.
- Rub the skin with oil for maximum crispiness.
- Use carry-over cooking to finish your bird. Once the breast meat reads 150F, pull out the chicken. The temperature will keep rising to 165F that is safe to eat and creates perfectly moist breast meat.
- Don't bake the dressing inside; you don't want the liquid from the bird going into the dressing. Instead, fill the cavity with herbs for maximum flavor.
- Fabio's secret techniques with chicken will apply to your holiday roast.
Perfect Roast Chicken
Recipe by Fabio Viviani
Yield: 2 - 4 Servings
1 whole chicken, fryer 2-4 pounds
2 sprigs thyme
2 sprigs sage
2 sprigs rosemary
1 lemon, sliced
5-6 garlic cloves, crushed
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 450F.
Remove the organs, gizzards and neck from chicken.
Rinse chicken inside and out with cold water.
Pat the chicken dry with paper towels so that the oil and seasoning will stick.
Rub oil all over chicken and season heavily with salt and pepper.
Stuff the cavity with garlic, lemon and herbs.
Place chicken on pan, breast side up, and put into preheated oven.
Cook for approximately 15-20 minutes until the skin is crispy and brown.
Put a meat thermometer in the breast, and turn the chicken over, breast side down and turn the oven down to 350F.
Leave in the oven until the thermometer reads 150F approximately.
Remove from the oven and let rest for approx. 10 min or until the thermometer reads 160-165F.
Cut the chicken into legs, drums, wings, breasts and platter.
Drizzle with EVOO and garnish with fresh herbs.
Watch new episodes of Chow Ciao Tuesdays at 1pm EST!