Show some down-home Southern hospitality with this loaded shrimp and grits recipe, featuring bacon, mushrooms, and our to-die-for cheese grits.
See More: 10 Easy Shrimp Recipes
Shrimp and Grits
2 bacon slices
1 lb. unpeeled, medium-size raw shrimp
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
2 tsp. canola oil
1/2 cup chopped green onions
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp. hot sauce
Cheese Grits (recipe below)
See More: Rise-and-Shine Breakfast Recipes
1. Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 10 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 tsp. drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon.
2. Peel shrimp; devein, if desired. Sprinkle shrimp with pepper and salt; dredge in flour.
3. Sauté mushrooms in hot drippings with oil in skillet 5 minutes or until tender. Add green onions; sauté 2 minutes.
Sauté mushrooms in bacon drippings.
4. Add shrimp and garlic, and sauté 2 minutes or until shrimp are lightly browned.
Sauté shrimp and garlic 2 minutes.
5. Stir in chicken broth, lemon juice, and hot sauce, and cook 2 more minutes, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet. Spoon shrimp mixture over hot Cheese Grits; sprinkle with crumbled bacon.
Stir in chicken broth, lemon juice, and hot sauce.
1 (14-oz.) can low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
1 cup fat-free milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
3/4 cup (3 oz.) shredded 2% reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. hot sauce
1/4 tsp. ground white pepper
1. Bring first 3 ingredients and 1 1/3 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; gradually whisk in grits. Reduce heat to low; simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until thickened. Stir in Cheddar cheese and next 3 ingredients.