Easily create and personalize this colorful plaque to hang on your garden gate.
What You Need:
- Old newspapers
- 11-5/8x9-1/4x2-1/2-inch foil pan
- Quick-setting cement
- Small pebbles
- Drill and a drill bit (large enough to accommodate the rope)
- Acrylic paints: white and assorted bright colors, such as orange, yellow, pink, and green
- Water-base nontoxic gloss exterior varnish
- Sponge brush
- Yellow twisted synthetic rope
1. Spread a layer of newspaper on the floor for protection. Set pan on newspapers.
2. With an adult's help, mix cement according to the manufacturer's directions, adding water until it's the consistency of cream. Pour the cement mixture into the foil pan.
3. Press hands into the cement to make imprints. Push pebbles into the cement around the edges. Let the cement dry. Carefully remove the dried plaque from the pan.
4. Ask an adult to drill two holes at the top corners of the plaque. Paint the plaque white and let dry. Paint the handprints and pebbles in bright colors, and add a name, date, or message.
5. Protect the plaque with several coats of varnish using the sponge brush. For the hanger, insert a length of rope into the holes and knot the ends on the back.
Used with permission. © Copyright Meredith Corporation