Summer may have taken its time getting here, but now that it's arrived, it's a scorcher! Here's a list of 15 kid-friendly ideas and activities to help you and your little ones stay cool and entertained in this Los Angeles heat.
1. One of the coolest (pun intended) things about Los Angeles is that you're only a hop, skip, and a jump away from the beach (pictured: Redondo Beach)! If you're tired of finding sand in unexpected places days after coming back from the beach, opt to spend the day at the pier or boardwalk.
5. Explore and learn about the variety of vibrant sea life in one of the area's many aquariums.
6. If your kids don't want to just look at the fish, take the fam to catch some. Go fish!
7. Got those new Mom/Dad/Care-giver blues? Go see a Monday Morning Mommy Movie and be sure to bring the little ones along.
8. Escape the stifling heat and head indoors to an ice skating rink. Lace up your skates and take your munchkins for a spin around the rink.
9. Check out summer reading and special kid-friendly events at your local library. Getting lost in a book is a lot better than getting lost in a hot city.
10. Why not get out of that concrete jungle? Take a quick day trip or over-night camping trip. You and the family could explore Catalina Island, one of the festivals in the city of Ojai, or Big Bear Lake by day, and when feeling a bit adventurous, Malibu Creek State Park for an overnight excursion.
11. Looking for an oasis within the city? Play in one of the biggest municipal parks in the country: Griffith Park.
12. Spend an afternoon scoping out the La Brea Tar Pits. It sure is a neat way to learn about some of the beasts that roamed these hills before we did.