October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and even though the battle against breast cancer is always on our minds, this is the time to lend your hand. We've put together a list of five ways to contribute with your time, your fitness and your shopping dollars!
Some of our favorite designers (at all price points!) are donating proceeds to the breast cancer cause. Buy a gorgeous pink silk Rebecca Taylor top or a one-shoulder cocktail dress from Dalia MacPhee and you are doing your part!*
2. Accessorize for a Cure
From Fergie's pink round-toe pumps to a sequined knit hat from Vera Wang for Kohl's or sunglasses and scarves from BCBG, there's a surplus of accessories you should stock up on that benefit the cause. So do your part and look for pieces like these that support breast cancer organizations.*
3. Support with Beauty
Take care of someone else while taking care of yourself. When you make your beauty choices, opt for products by Secret, Pantene, Olay and Venus Embrace which support the National Breast Cancer Foundation. During the month of October, when you purchase Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream in the pink packaging, Olay will donate $1 to breast cancer research. You get the anti-aging benefits while helping out a great cause. And even better, this covers your entire morning regimen.
4. Educate Online
Go to mypinkplan.com, a site that helps women create a personalized early detection plan. One in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime, so this is incredibly important for all of us.
5. Run or Walk for a Cure
Get off that sofa and walk or run for cure. Team Thread and I recently participated in the Susan G. Komen NYC run in Central Park and there are many run/walk races around the country all year long. Our fantastic team included survivor Darlene Weinbrenner and her daughter. It was very emotional for Darlene to see all the pink shirts out there and the sea of supporters who showed up 30,00 strong.
And here's a little extra motivation. . . go to our Facebook page and share with us what you are doing to help fight breast cancer. We will send 15 of you our collection of beauty products for hope including Pantene Beautiful Lengths Shampoo & Conditioner, Olay Body Wash, Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream, Venus Embrace and Secret Smooth Effects to cover your entire morning regimen. So, you do some good and we'll provide the pampering!
* Below are the details on the items featured in this episode and the portion of their proceeds going to fight breast cancer.
(From left to right.)
- Rebecca Taylor is donating 50% of profits from her light pink silk blouse ($265) to the Triple Negative Breast Cancer Foundation.
- When you buy Line & Dot's hot pink silk tank ($74), 25% of profits go to Susan G. Komen for the Cure.
- Dahlia MacPhee is donating 20% of profits on two pink cocktail dresses ($298) to the Young Survivors Coalition.
- Buy Spreegirl's bamboo and spandex cowl neck dress ($39) and 25% of the proceeds will go to Pink Envelope.
From left to right
- Jessica Simpson's black patent peep-toes ($79) and
- Fergie's gorgeous hot pink pumps ($45) will be included n the 17 th annual QVC presents "FFANY Shoes on Sale". All of the net proceeds from the QVC sale on October 15 th will benefit breast cancer research.
- Who doesn't love pink sequins? All of the profits from Vera Wang for Kohl's knit hat ($5) will be donated to the American Cancer Society.
- Pick up BCBG's silk scarf ($120) and sunglasses ($48) and 25% of all sales plus a $50k donation, will go to the Susan G. Komen For The Cure.
- Fashion Targets Breast Cancer will be the recipient of all profits from the sale of each set of three Shashi for Intermix woven bracelets ($48)
- Anne Klein, which has a pink and white enamel ($30) cuff from Dillard's, will donate $500,000 to Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
- From each sale of Bloomingdale's checkerboard umbrella ($12), $6 will be donated to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER AND FACEBOOK
Follow The Thread on Twitter.
Become a friend of The Thread on Facebook.Use our Twitter module to the left to check out the latest tweets about the Thread, and to tweet your own comments about our program and shows. We'd love to hear from you!
And if you love The Thread, add it to your Yahoo! Homepage by clicking the button below!
|7 Beauty Sins to Avoid||Style Tips with Nina Garcia|
|Who Wore It Best||Fall's Top Luxuries on a Budget|