SuccessSuccess can mean different things to different people. Some may equate success with making a lot of money. Others may equate it with being happy. Others see it as having strong and meaningful familial relationships and friendships. And finally, to some, it means ALL of these things. No matter how success is defined, many people often attribute success to luck. We hear it all the time: "She is so lucky that she has that job." "He is so lucky to have found such a perfect wife." "They are such a lucky family to be so close." Although luck can definitely play a hand in making one successful, more often than not, it takes a lot more than luck itself.
Regardless of your definition of success, these characteristics are paramount in ensuring that success is achievable.
- Know yourself. The first important thing to success is knowing yourself. How many times have you heard the story of an "ultra-successful" man or woman who had a life-changing experience causing them to fully shift gears and change their lives? This happens when an individual doesn't stay true to who they really are and what is important to them. Understanding what makes you tick and having passion in your life underpins the ability to be successful. Passion drives people in ways that a paycheck can't. And, if you have passion in what you do and in your life, success will follow. Get to know yourself intimately. Listen to your inner most feelings, thoughts and desires. Put stock into your intuition. Journal if you have to. The more you know about yourself, the more you'll know how you personally define success.
- Be Small AND Big Goal Oriented. Although you might have big goals for your future, realize that it takes steps to get there. You can't be a successful CEO for a large company right out of college. You can't have a successful marriage without work. Remind yourself that small steps are required along the way. Achieving small goals allows one to feel a sense of accomplishment, and gives you the motivation to continue towards the bigger goal. The more small goals you achieve, the more confident you'll become in making larger steps towards ultimate success.
- Patience And Perseverance. The old adage "good things come to those who wait" can seem strange in a day like today when instant gratification is so prevalent. Yet, it is very unusual for a person to become successful overnight. Many successful people have failed at least once before they succeeded, and have had to work very hard to get where they are. Even for those who seem "lucky" had to work for what they've gotten out of life. Those who are successful realize that they have to pay their dues, have to have patience, and have to persevere when the chips are down.
- Speak up. Those who are successful do not shy away from expression. You don't have to be the most conversant person in the room, or the loudest. You do, however, have to believe in yourself and take a stand for what you believe. As long as you are respectful to others in the process, you should feel comfortable saying what you feel, and expressing your needs and wants. This will demonstrate a level of self confidence that is important in garnering others' confidence in you.
- Get Smart. If you want to achieve something, you need to understand what it will take. Do you need a degree for a dream job? Do you need to save money for a dream house? Do you need to work through past relationship issues to have a relationship that is healthy? Be realistic and aware of what is required to be successful in your personal goals, and make sure that you are equipped with all that you need to make your dreams a reality.
- Find Solutions, Not Problems. Those who are extremely successful turn problems into opportunities. They see things through a positive lens. Instead of complaining, they find a way to change the situation to make it better.
- Dare to Dream. We would never see progress or change without dreamers. Dream as big as you want. Be creative with what you want out of life. Don't sell yourself short or discount what is possible. If you follow all of the six secrets above, you will have the power to make your dreams a reality.
Do you have any secrets to success you'd like to share?
More on Sheer Balance: