By Barbara Cocoran, REDBOOK
Q: "My boss just left and her replacement is terrible-she gives me impossible deadlines, flips out a lot, and, all in all, doesn't make work very much fun. Is there anything I can do to let her know this isn't the way things have been done in the past?"
Related: How to Make $1000 in a Weekend
A: I've worked for good bosses and bad bosses, and I've learned that the person you work for has more to do with your happiness than the work you actually do. Try this to improve your satisfaction on the job:
1. Forget about how things used to be done. The past is past, and your new boss decides how things are run.
Related: The 18 Most Annoying Male Habits, Explained!
2. Give your boss a chance. Everyone's nervous when they start a new job, and it takes a few months to settle into a new position. Let her get her feet on the ground now, and she may welcome your suggestions later.
3. Focus on doing a great job. Keep a list of what you're doing right. It'll help you stay on track and will come in handy when it's review time. Even if you're not getting recognition, remember that a star still shines under cloudy cover. When you get desperate for a compliment, send yourself flowers at the office. I'm serious. Include a note that says, "Great job!"
Related: 5 Tricks for All-Day Energy
4. Find a place to vent your frustrations, whether it be a shrink's office, a boxing gym, or a yoga mat. But don't vent to your coworkers-you can't take back impolitic words or e-mails once they're out there.
Related: Secrets to a Divorce-Proof Marriage
5. Remember the boss is the boss. If you can't adjust to her style, move on. If the chemistry is just off, everyone will be happier if you find a better fit.
Barbara Corcoran started a small New York City real estate office that grew into the Corcoran Group, a $5 billion business. She's also the coauthor of the best-selling book If You Don't Have Big Breasts, Put Ribbons on Your Pigtails and the real estate contributor to NBC's Today.
More from REDBOOK:
Could You Go a Week Without Yelling?
Have the Hottest Sex of Your Life…with Your Husband
- 6 Shocking Reasons Why Men Stray
- 101 Date Night Ideas
- Get More on Love, Family & Fashion - Subscribe to REDBOOK & Save Up to 84%!
Connect with REDBOOK:
- Become our Fan on Facebook
- Sign Up for REDBOOK's Free Weekly Newsletter
- Follow Us on Twitter
- Enter to Win FREE Daily Prizes
Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.