SavvySugarSource: Super Savvy! 10 Totally Free Ways to Relax
Between the holidays and the start of a new year, there's a lot going on (what else is new?). That makes taking a moment to stop and relax sometimes challenging. Instead of tossing down a ton of cash for a day at the spa, treat yourself to a bit of free zen. You might be surprised at how easy it is to turn your frown upside down without spending any cash. Click through for a collection of savvy ways to treat yourself to some much-needed relaxation.
- Read a Book: Head to your local library and get yourself a library card, which is free. Many libraries now have lending services for ebooks, too, making it even easier to sneak a few moments of quiet relaxing time. Even if you're not a big reader, you might be surprised by how calming it is to simply sit and get lost in a few pages.
- Go For a Walk: Anytime you are feeling like you just can't take anymore, head outdoors for a brisk walk. Getting your body moving is a great way to destress and let your brain work through your problems. Or grab a friend and chat away while pounding the pavement.
- Meditate: Find a quiet corner, and tune out for five minutes. Set a timer on your phone, and enjoy sitting in silence, download a self-guided meditation routine, or follow these simple tips to help you get started.
- Watch the Sunset (or Sunrise): Savvy ladies spend a lot of time working hard, which means getting outdoors isn't always at the top of the daily must-do list. On seriously stressful days, make time to watch the sunset - without your phone. Turn it off and sit while taking in the wonders of nature and celebrating the end of your long day.
- Sing a Song: Even if you're not a professional crooner, sing a song. Turn the radio up and sing along to your favorite tune, or hit the town for some karaoke. And singing gets your blood pumping - due to the deep breaths you take to belt out a tune - which elevates mood.
- Yoga: You don't have to go to the gym to enjoy a yoga session. A simple Sun Salutation takes a few minutes and can be done just about anywhere. And once you've memorized the routine, you can relax with a bit of yoga anytime.
- Smile: Simply smiling causes the brain to behave differently, transforming that stressed-out feeling into happiness. Call a friend who always makes you laugh, watch a silly movie, or just force yourself to smile, which tricks your brain into thinking everything is OK, even when you're feeling totally stressed out.
- Dance: Enjoy a dance party in the comfort of your own home, or find the perfect place to get your groove on. Dancing is fun, and you can do it anywhere. So crank the tunes and shake your booty. You'll be feeling stress-free in no time.
- Hot Bath: There's nothing more soothing than running a hot bath. While you're soaking, let go of the stress of your day. For a really relaxing treat, add several drops of your favorite scented oil.
- Write About It: When you're feeling run down, take a few minutes to write about what's bugging you. Or start a daily journal and dedicate time every day to writing, which helps calm frazzled nerves. Or get creative and write a short story!
Follow SavvySugar on Twitter
Become a Fan of SavvySugar on Facebook