Photo: Marko Metzinger/Studio D By Adam Glassman
Shorts at work are a hotly contested topic, and rightly so-I've seen women go very wrong wearing them. Even in jobs with relaxed dress codes, shorts often make you look ready for the beach rather than a meeting. But they can be done right (especially given this season's longer, sleeker styles), if you're careful.
RELATED: The skirt you'll be wearing all summer
1. Try dressy silk crepe or sturdy stretch cotton; avoid flimsy cotton voile and wrinkly linen.
2. Shorts should have a plain, full cut-like trousers-and hit just above the knee.
RELATED: 11 stylish summer tote bags big enough to fit all your essentials
3. Think of shorts as you would a skirt. I like them with a pretty blouse, blazer, and bold jewelry. Add wedges or pumps, or patent leather or metallic flats.
Left: Club Monaco, $130; 212-459-9863. Right: Diane von Furstenberg, $245; 646-486-4800.
RELATED: O's summer shoe threat-o-meter
Tell Us: Do you feel comfortable wearing shorts to work? Or is it totally taboo?
More from O, The Oprah Magazine:
The 5 Things Every Happy Woman Does
- Quiz: What's Really Holding You Back?
O's 2011 Summer Reading List
- 7 Bright and Sunny Looks to Try This Summer
- Subscribe to O, The Oprah Magazine and save up to 78%